If you are looking to visit Canada, it is no news that you are to get hold of a visitor visa before you will be granted entrance into Canada. Getting a visitor visa is really not that hard if you adhere to the protocols in place. Applicants will need a temporary visa that will grant them entrance to Canada. However, do note that there are nationals of countries that do not need it. That is, they only need the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). This makes them eligible to enter the country freely without needing a visa as long as they are with their passports.
Temporary Residence Visa
The temporary visa is usually given out to people who intend to visit Canada for a short period of time, the time range is mostly between 6 months or less. There are different reasons for giving the temporary visa – tourism, business, family visits, and so on.
If you have any of these visas, you will not be allowed to apply for permanent residency, study in the country for more than six months as well. Once the duration of your visa expires, you are required to leave the country immediately. However, in the case of getting a place to study for the duration of six months then you will be allowed to study.
Furthermore, you are under no circumstances required to work while in their country with a temporary visa.
Eligibility Criteria For The Temporary Visa
The criteria in place are there to make applicants understand how to easily go about getting a temporary visa. Therefore, as an applicant aspiring to get a temporary visa you must adhere to the protocols;
- You are to be 18 years and above;
- Applicants must make sure that they translate all their documents to enhance comprehension;
- The Visa Application Center (VAC) Consent Form is to be filled and signed by the applicants;
- Submit copies of your current immigration status in another country or in Canada;
- Have a valid government-issued passport with at least one blank page that is not the last page of the passport;
- You are to show your proof of funds to show that you can cater for yourself while in Canada;
- Applicants must submit required documents and go for their biometrics and go for the interview;
- Signatures and dates are important on the submitted documents;
- Applicants will go through medical examination if you are required to;
- Applicants are expected to convince the supervisor that they do not plan on staying in Canada longer than usual;
- Applicants must submit documents to prove that they do not plan to school nor work in Canada;
Note: Depending on the type of temporary visa you are aiming at getting, you may be required to follow additional criteria.
How To Apply For The Temporary Visa
There are two ways in which applicants can apply for a temporary visa;
- Online Application;
- Offline Application (In-person).
The world has gone digital now, hence it is easier if you apply online as it will save you more stress. However, if your application is being processed, you are required to come in person to submit some documents, do the interview and do the biometrics.
Applicants must visit the official website to check their eligibility status on the Government of Canada website then click on Visit. Once you click on that, you will see a link “Find out if you need a visa”. When it displays on your screen, click on the link and the survey will come out for you to fill.
The survey page will display and you are to answer the questions there truthfully and state the reason for your visit. The temporary visa will analyze the answers given and immediately let you know if you are eligible for the temporary visa.
If you are eligible for a Temporary Visitor Visa, then the page will direct you to the instructions on how to apply. Application online or in person are both feasible, however, with the increasing digitalization of visa applications, it is much easier if you apply online. Questions regarding how to “Determine your eligibility and apply online” survey will require more answers and you will be given a reference code and a checklist of what you have to do to apply.
There are specific requirements for the different types of visa
- Tourist Visa
For the tourist visa, you should have a list of the places you plan to visit and in some cases the activities you are looking to do.
- Business Visa
Applicants need to prove that they are working in the country before they travel to Canada. This will convince the inspector that you will return to the country.
- Super Visa
Applicants must have an invitation letter from their child or grandchild and proof of relationship such as a birth certificate.
- Diplomatic Visa
For the diplomatic visa, applicants must have documents that prove they are a governmental official of their country and they are visiting Canada for official duties, etc.