Entrance scholarships ensure that students receive financial aid support once they get admission to study at any university. In Canada, there are a good number of entrance scholarship awards for students who are entering the first year of their bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree programs.
Not all the universities in Canada offer this type of opportunity and many of them provided are used to attract the brightest students. The entrance scholarships which can often be referred to as admission scholarships are offered to students based on merit and academic performance, however, are provided to students who cannot pay for their studies in the schools in Canada.
Criteria to be eligible for an Entrance scholarship in Canada
- Having a good academic record or achievement is very important especially since the competition for these awards is usually very high.
- Some scholarships will require you to portray other abilities and skills such as contributions to community life, leadership abilities, extra-curricular involvement, outstanding scientific research proposals, athletic performance, and so on.
- Meet the schools’ admission requirements
- Most entrance scholarships would not require you to fill out a separate application form because you will automatically be considered for the award after your application for admission into the school is accepted
- Applicants will be required to first obtain admission to study at any of the schools in Canada
- Some scholarships are usually country-specific mostly for students from war-torn countries with financial constraints.
Top Entrance Scholarships for Students in Canada
University of Toronto Scholarships
The University of Toronto offers several scholarship opportunities for both international and domestic students who wish to study in the school. The university provides over 5000 scholarships awards for undergraduate students and well over 3000 scholarships for graduate studies and doctoral studies.
Each year, the University of Toronto awards entrance scholarships to more than 4,500 students which amount to nearly $20 million. You can apply for Undergraduate entrance scholarships or for Graduate entrance scholarships
York University Scholarships
The entrance scholarship opportunities provided at the University of York do not require any separate application as you’d be automatically be considered for the award when you have secured admission to study in the school. Below are some York University entrance scholarships for both international and domestic students:
- York University Automatic Entrance Scholarships
- Schulich Leader Scholarships
- Alumni Entrance Scholarship
- Honderich Bursary
- Avie Bennett Award
- President’s Scholarships
- Chancellor Cory Entrance Scholarship
- Provost’s Award
- York University Talent Entrance Scholarships
University of British Columbia
The University of British Columbia offers fully-funded entrance scholarships to international students who are entering the first year of the degree program at the university.
The scholarship opportunity does not require any separate application as you’d be automatically be considered for the award when you have secured admission to study in the school. Below are some University of British Columbia entrance scholarships for both international and domestic students:
University of Waterloo scholarships
Each year the University of Waterloo provides numerous admission scholarships for international and domestic students who have demonstrated excellent academic achievements in their previous studies. The scholarships, as well as bursaries and grants, are there to provide students with the financial aid that they need to sponsor their studies at the university. Below are some University of Waterloo entrance scholarships for both international and domestic students:
Some of the entrance scholarships for undergraduate studies are found in this link.
University of Alberta Scholarships
The University of Alberta is one of the highly-rated institutions in Canada. The scholarships provided for students are fully-funded and you do not even submit a separate application to apply for them. The school has a high standard for admission and if you are able to secure admission to study in the school, you will be considered for any of the entrance scholarships available in the school. You can find several University of Alberta scholarships here.
Ryerson University Scholarships
The University of Ryerson has always been the first to recognize students for their outstanding academic performances. The university each year provides over $7 million worth of admission scholarships to international and domestic students. . Below are some of Ryerson University entrance scholarships for both international and domestic students:
- President’s Entrance Scholarships: $40,000
- International Secondary School Merit Scholarship: $5,000.
- BMO Financial Group Diversity Scholarships